Tuesday, December 4, 2007

December to Remember

Well, believe it or not, we are in the last month of the great year of 2007. 2008 is looming over us and if you haven't accomplished what you set out to do in January of this year, you have 3 1/2 weeks to Git 'R Done.

I am encouraged by the things God has allowed me to do this past year and especially for the relationships He let me start.

The banner of this year for me is no doubt the Chaplaincy. He inspired me to pursue becoming a Chaplain back in July of 2006 and here we are in December of 2007 well into this new aspect of ministry.

This past week at the Guard unit, I was allowed to lead our entire unit and many of their family members in a time of prayer before we enjoyed a Christmas Dinner. I consider it a huge blessing to even bring up the topic of our great God, and even more special that I could speak about this time of year as being a time to celebrate the Birth of His Son Jesus.

I have always enjoyed praying in an extemporaneous style, but I was given some advice by a Chaplain recently, that I should write down a prayer ahead of time in order to keep the focus. So I did this for the first time ever: This is that prayer...

Almighty God and Creator,

There are many things that bless our lives, but none as much as the blessing of Your Son. It is because of Him that we celebrate this season and because of Him that we gather for celebrations just like this. Thank you for the hands that have labored to provide the food. Thank you for the leaders who have committed to serve. Thank you for the soldiers and their families who will enjoy its nourishment and sustainment.

Allow us to enjoy each other and have a great time of laughter and fellowship.

Place Your blessings on the soldiers of this unit, and those of our comrades around the world who continue to hold guard force positions as well as fight for peace, joy and happiness.

In Your Name, I pray, Amen.

(Prayer for the IDANG Twin Falls Christmas Banquet 2 Dec 2007 b y 2LT John Martinez -my very first prayer as a Chaplain for our unit)

2007 will be a December to Remember.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

John,
I'm thankful to God for your following His leadership in this way. I pray that God will use you in His mighty was for his purposes and Glory.

Thanks for serving the brave men and women of the Idaho National Guard.

Paul
<><

Unknown said...

(editorial correction: I pray that God will use you in His mighty way for his purposes and Glory.)

:)