Thursday, May 29, 2008

Fellow Chaplain

Chaplain (Col) Art Moore.
Idaho Air National Guard

Col. Joseph (Art) Moore was recently on deployment in Djibouti, on the Horn of Africa where he passed away. He has been a part of the 124th Wing of the Idaho Air National Guard out of Gowen Field where he began as a Chaplin and was eventually promoted to State Commanding Chaplain for the JFHQ Army and Air National Guard.

His family shared this statement with the public... "Art loved the military, loved working with the people and loved traveling as part of his military duties. Being a minister to service members was dear to his heart, and he was available to help anybody at any time."


Pastor Paul and I travelled to Boise on Wednesday for Art's funeral. It was extremely well attended by many members of the Army and Air Guard from Gowen as well as throughout the state.




Art sat down with my on at least two occasions to talk about what I should expect while serving as a military Chaplain. One of his biggest concerns he had for me was that my church would be supportive and he even offered to come down and take an evening service to explain in detail what I would be doing in addition to encouraging our church to support me in this effort.





I assured Art that although he was invited to come down at any time, I was confident and continue to be that our church is in great support of the ministry I do through the Idaho Army National Guard.





Art loved to talk about fishing, just about anytime, but one of his other favorites was to take you to lunch. I recall having lunch with Art at Rocky's Diner in Boise while in uniform and in the company of several other ranking brass; I was nervous, but he really made an effort to make me feel included.





Art, you will be sorely missed, but we'll see you when we get to the other side.





-John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that....I'm so glad you are as blessed as I am for having known such an amazing man.

Rachel (Art's oldest daughter)