Monday, May 12, 2008

Truly Blonde Moment

This past weekend several of our youth participated in what looks like it may become an annual event for our students. The fasted for 30 hours.


The students were a part of the "National 30-Hour Famine". I am very proud of these students as you can imagine since they allowed themselves to literally go without food from Noon on Friday thru 6:00pm on Saturday evening.

In addition to this the students participated in a work project at a church in our association raking leaves, pulling weeds, and hauling branches. They did great!


This is where my blonde moment kicks in:


When we arrived at the church in Gooding, the doors were locked so I reached for my key chain and told the students that the key I use for Eastside was a Universal Baptist Church Key, and that it would work on any Baptist church.


I put the key in the lock and presto it worked perfectly! The thing I didn't tell them was that Larry Kelley, the pastor of the Gooding church had loaned me his key the day before.


My agreement with Larry was I would leave his key on his desk in his Church office in Gooding when we were done.


Later that afternoon when we arrived back in Twin Falls, I reached into my pocket for my keys and reminded the students once again that I was about to use the Universal Baptist Church Key to open the church........


Oops! It didn't work.... I had accidentally left my Eastside Baptist Key in Gooding and kept Larry's key as my own.


Then came the obvious call from the students: "What happened to your Baptist key?"


I felt about 2 inches tall. Amidst plenty of laughing, I confessed to my ruse. We stood around wondering how we would get into the church... we tried several doors, but no luck.. So we did what anyone else would do in a similar situation: We went to Pastor Paul's house to borrow his key.
-John


3 comments:

Shanna Locker said...

Well I guess that'll teach you to try and pull one over on a bunch of teenagers!! I think the story is hilarious!

John said...

#1 - I thought if you had a "Baptist Key" it simply provided an opportunity to argue over which doors it did and did not open.

#2 - Please tell me about this church that manages to lock all of it's doors. Until your post I was convinced that i could arrive at any church across this great land and find at least one unlocked door.

Hilarious story! Blessings on the school work. Do well!

Alabama John

Pastor John said...

You are so right! There is always at least one open door into the church until you lock your key inside.

So time you should have Pastor Paul tell you about the homeless man found sleeping in the church building one morning. The neighbors told him which door was open.

-John