Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"Full Battle Rattle"

The past few days have been a great start the Annual Training event I have been a part of with the National Guard.

Our training site has been set up and we are here on what is called the "OTA" (Orchard Training Area) just south of Boise. Everywhere we go we are required to wear full body armor and Kevlar as well as our weapon. No exceptions! Even to the Latrine! This is what is affectionately referred to as "Full Battle Rattle".

I have to admit that it is fun to "Play Soldier" when there is no real threat, but I also do realize that the training is for a real purpose. We will be deployed and this training will have a real purpose.

I am reminded of Ephesians chapter 6 following after verse 10 where the Apostle Paul urges the believers to be ready for battle. There was not a question of whether the believers would engage in battle, this was already a given. The real issue was who the enemy truly was. In this case which is true for us today, the enemy is not in a Bradley Tank or an IED (Improvised Explosive Device), but it is a spiritual power, principalities. We are fighting against the evil and dark forces that can cause us to sin destructively and fall from the faith and destroy our witness in the community and those we influence.

So in order to be a successful Soldier of the Cross we have to be prepared to do battle. This means that we have to be in "Full Battle Rattle". It is called the The Full Armor of God and it includes an array:

We have to ...Gird your waist with TRUTH,

The breastplate of RIGHTEOUSNESS,

Feet shod with the preparation of the GOSPEL of PEACE,

The sheild of FAITH,

The helmet of SALVATION,

The sword of the SPIRIT,

And pray always in the SPIRIT.

-John
(Soldier of The Lord)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

John,
We miss you (I'm going to Sonic while you are away just so they don't forget us.) I'm praying for you and your awesome role with the brave men and women of the Idaho National Guard. Thanks for being there with them and for them.

Keep the armor on!

(Silas left Saturday, David left today and Torkeld heads home to Norway on Thursday. I may need to barrow you children once in a while this summer.)

lora said...

Paul,
Enough said, I'll see you Monday morning with my kids, so no need for yours John, sorry!
lora

Pastor John said...

LOL! Enjoy The "Empty Nest" You may decide you like it too much and Silas may be out of luck when he gets back.

I agree with Lora, You can have my kids anytime you want. But only to borrow. ;)

-John

Unknown said...

Alright... I did say "may" and "once in a while" This will be on my terms... HA HA HA.

lora said...

Good thing you clarified!
But Jordan might be a good substitute for Sy..... :)

Unknown said...

Let me think... Friday or Saturday is usually lawn mowing day... I may call Jordan if I need someone to go with me to get a milk shake or something after I mow the yard... Thanks Lora.

Shanna Locker said...

All this talk about the kids and may we all remember your other family member - you know, the one you almost killed the other day. (Good thing you weren't wearing a weapon that day, right?) Dear Coda has not been forgotten. Lottie went for a visit just yesterday and they wore each other out real good. Oh yeah, I also got to visit with Shari for a while...they are all doing well, afraid-of-thunder-dog included! :)
Praying for You,
~Shanna~

Pastor John said...

You are right. Lottie nearly lost her running buddy. Coda must have a little "cat" in him because he is burning through lives.

I will have to Blog about that soemtime.

-John