Saturday, June 7, 2008

Silent Respect

1 Year ago on June 6th 2007, I was commissioned into the Idaho Army National Guard as a 2LT to serve as a Chaplain.


25 years ago today on June 6th 1983, I entered into the Army National Guard as a PFC Private First Class and started Basic Training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina to serve as a band member in the 44th Army Band Stationed in Santa Fe New Mexico.

64 years ago today on June 6th 1944:



(According to Wikipedia) The Invasion of Normandy was the invasion and establishment of Allied forces in Normandy, France during Operation Overlord in World War II. It covers from the initial landings on June 6, 1944 until the Allied breakout in mid-July.It was the largest seaborne invasion at the time, involving over 850,000 troops crossing the English Channel from the United Kingdom to Normandy by the end of June 1944.Allied land forces that saw combat in Normandy on June 6 came from Canada, Free French Forces, the United Kingdom, and the United States. In the weeks following the invasion, Polish forces also participated and there were also contingents from Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Greece, and the Netherlands. Most of the above countries also provided air and naval support, as did the Royal Australian Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force and the Royal Norwegian Navy.


My dad, uncles, and grandfather and several cousins are veterans of foreign wars. My dad fought in World War II and Korea.

I know that people are courteous and call me a veteran, but there is a huge difference between these ones that have actually done the fighting and someone like me who puts on the uniform.

Please understand, no disrespect for all those in uniform who stand READY to defend; I do the same, but there is a silent respect we have for those who have already been there.I feel awkward at times when someone comes up to me and says thank you with a tear in their eye. But I was told by another soldier once that they are saying thank you through me. So I feel honored to accept their appreciation.

4 comments:

Shanna Locker said...

Bill & I just returned from the Twin Falls City Park where Shari sang. She did a wonderful job and seemed to really enjoy it. The girls were busy helping with different booths. The event was well attended. Except for a bit of wind, the weather was perfect.
Coda & Lottie played for a few hours this morning while Shari and I went out to a few yard sales. It was time we both enjoyed...I'm sure the dogs did too.
Have a good week.
Praying for you, ~Shanna~

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary and I wish you many more to come!

Isn't is humbling to be thanked for the amazing things our brothers have done.

Karin Sharrai

Unknown said...

It will be good to have you home soon John. I'm one of those guys who can't hardly talk to a soldier in uniform without a lump swelling in my throat or tears banking up in my eyelids full of gratitude. I know that not everyone who puts on a United States Military Uniform will actually be "engaged" in battle, but the fact that you wear it says you're ready.

"Thank You"

Pastor John said...

Thanks,

Good coments.

-John