Monday, March 17, 2008

Shari's Van


Well, I guess it's time for that long story to be shared:



Last year about this time, a small mission group from Mississippi took their Spring Break to come to Twin Falls and do Adventure Bible Clubs in the park around town. They did a great job and we hope they will consider coming back again.

It was near the end of that week, after a long tenure of Jessica driving with a permit, that I allowed her to drive through an area near South Park Twin Falls in order to allow her practice time driving in "neighborhoods".

The experience was more intense than we expected. She pulled out after coming to a stop sign and a vehicle T-Boned us. She had her first accident and she didn't even have a real driver's license.

Unfortunately, we were without insurance at the time, since we had let it lapse. (Very Dumb) So we were left with the task of finding someone to fix our van at our own expense.

Our first instinct was to find someone cheap and fast. The van was drivable so we continued to drive it around town for about a month getting bids and looking for that All-Illusive-Cheap-Deal.

I was in a restaurant on a Saturday morning having coffee and studying, (a normal for me) when I ran into a neighbor in the restaurant who asked if we had Shari's van fixed yet. I said no and she told me that she had a "friend" who did body work and she called him on the spot.

Within a couple of days he came out to our house, looked at the van and told us he would do it, and then he asked those magical words: "How Much Do You Want To Pay".

This was too good to be true. By the way, it was. I asked him if he would do it for $1,000. and he said no problem. I felt great and I was sure he was a God-Send. (yes, I still believe he was - more on this later)

So off our van went to the back yard of a our neighbor's "friend". The van stayed there for the next 6 months, yes I said 6 (Six) and I also said months. Only half of the job was finished, and after constant visits, and conversations with this "friend", he finally relented and said he would not be able to complete the job.

We had payed him $250. and he said he would call it "even" and we should come pick up our van.

OK, here is the problem: Our van was in many pieces at this point and with the doors off, his cats had made their home in Shari's van not to mention the fact that it had rained several times throughout the 6 month period. The van was filthy and the battery had to be charged in order to even get it started.

Enter new body-man: One of the original body shops that made a bid agreed to come tow the van to their shop and take over the job. When we spoke to them and told them our "sob-story" about the first guy, they assured us they could and would finish it up and it should only take 2 to 3 weeks. Wow, we could handle that especially after waiting months.

Sounded great! We said "Go For It" and beleived we were in good hands.

A few weeks later, the van wasn't finished, but they assured us once again that they would have it done soon but they were just starting to get busy with other vehicles. We trusted them and said we would check back.

This same scenario repeated a few more times and a few weeks turned into a few months. Long story short, they had the van for almost 4 months and never finished it. Finally along with the accompaniment or my friend Paul Thompson, to visit the Shop owner "one more time", He agreed to sign a document stating that he would finish the van by March 15th 2008.

Shari and I went back on the 15th and the van was "finished", sort of... but he refused to put the parts back together stating that he had lost money on the job by under bidding it. Correction, he did put the driver's seat back, with only a couple of bolts and no seat belt.

So off we go to to yet another shop.

Note: There are details I am omitting for the sake of time and boring you to tears. Mostly dealing with they disrespectful way we were treated and names we were called by the shop owner. I have also not mentioned names of owners and business names as well and a few other details concerning the unprofessional manner in which we were treated. I am sure this is mostly our own opinion, so I'll leave it out.

Now as of 5:00 Friday evening March 15th Shari's van has been at "TDK". They started work on the van this morning and they are done reassembling it with the exception of a couple of missing parts, (easy stuff) and the tune-up and detail which we asked them to do.

What a difference integrity makes.

In retrospect: If I had it to do all over again knowing what I know right now, I would never go to either one of those guys again. But, that is precisely why God didn't consult with me. I would have walked right past an opportunity to be tested without batting an eye.

What Satan intended for evil, God intended for good. I have been severely tested in many ways over the past nine and half months on all sides. He has tested my character in front of the shop owners, their workers and other employees.

He has tested me in front of many of the members of our church who have out of great concern for us continued to check in and ask us about the van. He has tested me in front of my family in the attitude I have shown at home and while driving back and forth to the shops.

He has tested our family's ability and desire to share one vehicle with three drivers

Finally, He has tested me in front of myself. I know the thoughts I have had, the things I have wanted to say and do, the attitudes I have borne in my spirit, and the way I have allowed my concern for a personal possessions to have more bearing over my concern for the salvation of these shop owners.

How did I do? Maybe you don't want to know everything. In spite of the time I did spend praying for the shop owners and their employees, I know I need to continue to pray for them. Maybe you would join me in praying at least one time for these souls for which Christ died.

By the way, God knows where we need to be tested and He allows it for our benefit, so thanks Lord, I needed that.

Oh, about Shari's van.... we got a call earlier today from the shop at TDK (the guys with integrity) to let us know they were almost done.

So in the words of of Paul Harvey, "Now You Know The Rest of The Story".

-John

1 comment:

Shanna Locker said...

Having had an 'inside track' through Shari throughout this entire ordeal I can honestly say that you guys have handled this with more grace and dignity than I'm sure I would have. Patience is one of the fruits that God is still trying to pound into my thick head, and yes, I'm really working on learning! I just wish I could 'hurry up' and learn it! :0(
I am SO glad for you that you'll now have 2 sets of wheels.
~Shanna~