Monday, October 15, 2007

Friends from All Over

God has truly blessed me with a whole new set of friends. Some of these men are the Godliest men I have known. They show a deep desire to be in the thickest of situations meeting the spiritual needs of soldiers under the direst of conditions.

I don't think it's because they are Hero-Wanna-Be's; I believe most of our Chaplains are here because God has called them to be Chaplains. Think about it, these are a bunch of preachers.

I am told that according to a new standard and formula, Chaplains should be able to predict how frequently we will be "DOWN RANGE" -this is Army talk for being in combat.

The formula for National Guard works out to be once every 2 1/2 years. Yes, that's what I said.

For me this may be a little different since I am still a "Chaplain-Candidate". Candidates are non-deployable assets until they complete Chaplain School and their educational requirement. I am about 33 hours into my 92 hour M-Div (Master of Divinity). Additionally, I won't be back to finish CH-BOLC until sometime in 2008.

I am also a 2nd LT; Chaplains have to be at least a 1st LT. This takes at least 2 years - time and grade for the promotion as well as completion of the educational requisite. So for now know, you're stuck with me.

I do want to say thank you however, You as a church as well as family and friends have been completely supportive through my application process. I have felt nothing but your encouragement and the occasional question of concern sandwiched in support.

This would be so difficult knowing that I didn't have your backing and especially your time on your knees.

Blessings,

-John M

6 comments:

Shanna Locker said...

I heard from Sheri today about your night in the ER. I hope you are feeling much better and that the pain does not come back. You are in my prayers.
Blessings friend, Shanna

Pastor John said...

Thanks Shanna,

I did spend the night in the ER. I go back in today for an Ultra Sound to see if I may have something in my Gall Bladder or if it was just something I ate.

-John

Shanna Locker said...

Sheri just called to tell me about the gallstones. I'm sorry that you are facing health issues and possible surgery. The good news is that gallbladder surgery is much easier to recover from than it was years ago. But any surgery can feel like it's major when it's happening to you - minor surgery is what other people have. :-) Be assured of my prayers and know that Sheri will have all the support she needs while you are away; in fact the dogs have a play date just after 3 today and I'll get a chance to visit with Sheri. You take care of yourself.
Holding You Up, Shanna

Pastor John said...

Thanks again Shanna,

I am actually just getting back home from the hospital. I had surgery yesterday afternoon and the Dr. let me go home (apartment) this morning.

They took my Gall Bladder... they can keep it, I didn't need it anyway and plus it was keeping me up nights. ;)

-John

Shanna Locker said...

I'm glad the surgery went well and you are home from the hospital. Was this your first experience with surgery? It's not a terribly fun thing. What some people will do to get out of PT! :-) Hope you heal quickly and get to come home soon. I know you are being missed very much by your family.
Praying, Shanna

Shari said...

Hi love. Anxiously counting the minutes until you arrive home. Hope school is going well and you are getting the rest you need. I miss you soooooo much!!!!! See you Friday.
Smokey