Saturday, December 23, 2006

Let It Snow!

We arrived here in Buena Vista, Colorado last night, nerves on edge and smiles on our faces. When we left Twin Falls yesterday morning it took us over an hour to make it to Burley because of the conditions on the interstate. Even though it was only 30 miles away, Burley was still our first stop. WHEW!
Gene and Marge were Great sports the entire trip. In spite of the crazy weather, they were very cheerful and intentional about taking a nap. This is always a confidence builder for a driver. By the time we were out of Idaho, we were out of the snow and Utah was dry-driving all the way through Colorado until we got to Tennessee Pass.

Tennessee Pass off Interstate 70 is where the big mountains of Colorado begin to show themselves. We had already heard, from Shari's family, that conditions on the pass were snow-packed and icy, but we decided to stop at a little service station in Minturn, Colorado at the base of the pass, and ask people coming off the mountain. Everyone looked at us like we were tourists, and said "it's fine".




Virtually the entire pass was dry and perfect driving conditions for a flatlander. However, the fact that we were driving it at night and the road is as crooked as a 3 dollar bill, pushed everyone on the edge of their seats.
Shari had plenty of advice about my speed, the line of cars behind me had plenty of comments too -- I know, because I could feel them -- and it was hard to tell the difference between left-over sand from the sanding trucks or snow pack. So everytime I tapped my brakes a little too quickly I could feel the air in the van sunndenly get vaccumed up by all those well-intentioned gasps.
Finally, we made it over the pass and we arrived in Leadville. I knew we would be to our distination in half an hour, but first, we ALL had to make a potty stop.

When we rolled into town in "BV" (Buena Vista to tourists), Marge and Gene's family was waiting. And after we made the transfer of luggage from van to car and waved good-bye, Jessica, decided she wanted to drive the rest of the way to Grammi's house. Normally I would give my usual grunt of "ugh, ok", but suddenly I realized the roads were snow-packed and icy. Finally, there was all that ice and snow. "Ugh".

Reluctantly, I agreed, and up the hill to Grammi's house we drove. In those last 3 miles, I aged a year, 10% more hair greyed-up, and 5% fell out. But when we drove up, Jessica was grinning ear to ear. Grammi and Poppi saw her drive into their drive way. Both grandparents and grandkids ran to love on each other, I don't know who was prouder

I suppose we are a lot like that when we come into the presence of God our Father. We come in strutting our stuff and saying, "Look at me, God" He comes running up and says I love you. Strangely, the opposite is true as well. When we come in to His presence after we have blown it, He still comes running up to meet us, and says I love You. The common thread is, that we come into His presence just as we are.

Merry Christmas

John

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John, We are glad to hear that you have made it. Enjoy and relax. We go to Boise later tonight to get David. More Snow is in the forcast.

Paul <><