Monday, May 4, 2009

Moose Tracks Have Great Influence

Here I was attending the Sunday evening worship service at Eastside listening to my pastor teach through Psalm 1. And then he goes and drops the bomb.

You realize that a pastor's well placed sermon illustration can have a far reaching and perhaps unintended impact on young ears in the audience. It did just that with both my daughters.

Pastor Paul chose to use Moose Tracks Ice Cream to illustrate the point in Psalm 1:2 to bring dimension to the word "delight". I am sure the crowd made the connection as did I, but my daughters could not focus their adolescent minds and hearts on much else other than getting that ice cream.

First of all, I have to admit that Moose Tracks Ice Cream is a regular in our household. We know it well...too well perhaps. Long story short, we did not fall prey to the call of the moose, conveniently because our neighborhood Swenson's Grocery store is closed on Sundays, but I will not bee too surprised when the Moose comes a calling sometime this week.

I wonder if the Psalms hold a potential Dairy Queen Peanut Buster Parfait illustration?

Thanks Pastor... (and thanks)

-John

4 comments:

Shari said...

CUTE! And WHO was the one that broke down and brought "the moose" home last nite?? Luv you!

Pastor John said...

Actually, they didn't have "Moose Tracks" so I had to settle for "Bear Tracks". I don't know the difference?? I think it must be brand name....

By the way how was it?

Unknown said...

Best way to be for sure about the difference would be to buy a quart of both and do some field research and lab work on the comparison. When would you like to begin this project and should there be a third kind of ice cream to keep the research pure?

Pastor John said...

Well I do understand that there is a product called Beaver Tracks Ice Cream as well. Perhaps we should add this to our list just to be scientifically accurate.