Monday, August 27, 2007



I participated along with hundreds of soldiers from across the country at Boise's Gowen Field for a "Warfighter Exercise." This type of training uses the latest technology to mimic real-life combat situations and allowed soldiers to practice operating a command center. The event lasted over a week and combined lessons from combat in Iraq and Afghanistan. I, however, was present only on the final weekend with the National Guard unit from Twin Falls.
.
When you step into the tent it feels as though you are stepping out of time and into another reality. There is a sense of busyness that captures the undivided attention of the soldiers as they communicate back and forth via laptop, radio and phone regarding strategy, position and actions that are displayed on a large screen as a simulated battle-field in progress.
.
There is an emotional intensity evident and when you observe the soldiers doing their job and it is difficult to believe that there are not 'real' counterparts being captured, taken as prisoner, or encountering an IED (Improvised Explosive Device), until you hear someone mutter the phrase "Real-World" in their conversation. It then that you realize it's a training exercise.
.
I had several "Real-World" encounters at the training exercise. It seems that a Chaplain is a coveted officer whether it's training or the real thing. When I showed up about 18:30 (6:00pm) on Friday, I was taken aside and briefed on a real-world situation relating to two soldiers that were in immediate need of their chaplain.
.
I thank God for the ministry He has allowed me to have in the lives of these soldiers and their families. By the time I was finished with the weekend I had counseled with four individuals about 'real' issues in their lives.
.
Oh, by the way, I was informed later that the Chaplain and Chaplain's assistant in the warfighter simulation were 'taken-out' . I assume that was not good. LOL
.
We'll, like I recently said to my father-in-law, you can't win them all, especially if you don't win the first one.
.
LOL
-John M

No comments: