Monday, April 16, 2007

Virginia Shootings

I suppose it was not until this afternoon that I heard of the shooting in our country today. Strange how news coverage consumes a horrific event like a school shooting and ignores the fact that of the 150,000 people that will die throughout the world today, the vast majority will enter eternity as lost a sock in a dryer.

My heart is broken for the thirty-two people who were killed at Virginia Tech this morning, and for their families who now have to endure what noone should have to face in the days to come. I pray even now that the Holy Spirit of God will comfort these families and that out of this great tragedy the name of Jesus be found at the center.

I know that none of those who were senselessly killed this morning, or the dozens that were injured had any clue that their lives would forever be changed in an instant.

We can only pray and ask God to give us opportunity to see those with whom we are associated, experience an instantaneous change as well - that they will encounter the living God and receive salvation from an eternal separation from Him through His Son, Jesus.

All they have to do is ask, and all we have to do is tell.

Never would I hope for tragedy, however, it seems that at those incredulous times in our lives God works the greatest miracles; possibly because it is at those desperate times that we seek Him in earnest.

I pray for the families in Virginia as they cope with their loss and for those who will be given the opportunity to minister at such a needed time.

Blessings,

John

1 comment:

Gen said...

Thank you for your thoughts, Pastor John. It reminds me that I need to live every day as though it may be my last---and as though it may be the last day for all those I come in contact with. May God help me to be bold and caring.

Gen