Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Lasik Eye Surgery


The LASIK Procedure
After your eye has been completely numbed using “eye drop” anesthesia, an eyelid holder will be placed between your eyelids to prevent you from blinking. Next, a surgical instrument makes a protective flap in the cornea. During this process you may feel a little pressure, but no discomfort. You will be asked to look directly at a target light while the laser reshapes the cornea, usually in less than a minute.

To treat nearsightedness, the cornea must be made flatter. This is accomplished by removing tissue from the center of the cornea.
To treat astigmatism, the cornea must be made more spherical. This is accomplished by removing more tissue from one part of the cornea than the other.

To treat farsightedness, the central cornea must be made steeper. This is accomplished by removing tissue from around the central area.

Then, the protective flap is folded back in place where it bonds securely without the need for stitches. After LASIK, there is typically slight discomfort that goes away within twenty-four hours.
??????
Why am bringing up a subject like this you ask? Well, as blessings would have it, I am about to come under the knife -- or should I say 'laser'.
On the 24th of this month I will headed to Boise to undergo Lasik Surgery vision correction for near sightedness. I almost can't believe it myself so let me tell you how it is even possible.
Several years ago Shari told me that on our 25th anniversary she wanted me to take her on a cruise. She also mentioned to me that I would recieve Lasik as her gift to me.
As you may already know neither a cruise nor lasik are cheap. But for some strange reason I heard and responded to an promotion for the first few callers of a new Lasik office opening in Boise and "Low and behold as luck would have it, I am scheduled for the procedure!"
Normally the procedure is around $2,500 to $3,000, but the promotion allowed me to have the procedure done for under $500 per eye - everything included. The other wonderful part of that is that it won't cost our family any out of pocket $$.... Our Health Saving Account will cover the costs.
Isn't God Good. Isn't Shari Lucky. I wonder if God will pick up the cost for a cruise in His grand scheme of things???
Blesings,
John

2 comments:

Unknown said...

John, just reading and thinking about this kind of surgery makes my eyes water and itch. I'm thanking God right now that He has made this a possibility. As for the cruise; I think I'm getting sea sick just thinking about that for you two.

Pastor John said...

Sorry Paul,

I have worse pictures of the procedue I won't post on this blog. I am sure if I did no-one would get the surgery done ever again.

John