Monday, December 1, 2008

Final Two Weeks




Recently we spent our final time in the field doing some practical training. Above is our "Ramp Ceremony" to honor a fallen Soldier. This is typically held on a Airfield or chopper-pad where we offer a short ceremony as the Soldier is loaded on to an aircraft to travel home for his final Funeral Service/Ceremony.

In this picture our platoon is huddled in a concrete bunker after our area was hit with mortar fire. (not real) Our procedure was that once we heard mortar fire we moved to the bunker to get accountability. (Take Roll) in some cases we would have to gear up in our Pro Mask (Gas Mask) if we heard the command "Gas". We were smiling, mostly because it was a false alarm. We ran after we heard mortar from another FOB. (Forward Operating Base). What can you expect from a bunch of Chaplains...

We have less than two weeks remaining before we finish this phase of our training. Shari is coming up for part of that training. Yup, you heard me right. Shari will be here in two days to join me for a time of training in Marriage Strong Bonds Training, as well as spouse briefing and of course my graduation.

She arrives here in Columbia on Thursday evening, and I will have to pick up my dirty clothes and spruce up the place before she gets here.

-John

8 comments:

Shanna Locker said...

I don't think I've ever seen Shari more excited, she is ready to get on a plane tonight if she could. I think she's been almost packed for a couple of weeks now! Glad you'll be together soon.
Staying Thankful,
~Shanna~

Pastor John said...

Thanks Shanna,

I am very excited about seeing Shari too.

I believe this may be our longest time apart.

-John

Unknown said...

John,
Thanks for posting the photos. I have such respect for you guys and the service you give to the men and women in the military.

Hurry Home. (Godspeed)

Paul

Shari said...

One suitcase packed and zipped, two to go (of course, Jess will do hers) :) :) :) :) :)

Pastor John said...

Thanks Paul, Glad to do it!

How many suitcases???

-John

Shari said...

One suitcase per girl (duh) well, and plus a carry on each. Now all 3 suitcases are ready to go. Yahoo!!!!

Pastor John said...

Thanks for the clarification.....

Shari said...

Although it does look like a suitcase farm on the living room floor right now. I wish I was flying there today!!!!