Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dress Blues

Today I spent a little time with the nice folks at the Uniform and Clothing store on post. I was fitted for a set of "Dress Blues". The Dress Blues is the formal dress uniform for the army.

I have already purchased a set of Dress Greens (aka Class A's), and the Blues should be ready for pick-up by next Tuesday.

I am sure that many soldiers who go in for fitting must believe that they are the only ones who have done this before. (Thousands of us shuffle through each year.)

As I was in the fitting area, the nice lady had me go into the fitting room to try on a set of trousers, when I returned, I felt as though they fit just fine. She took one look and said they were too tight and handed me a larger pair, I very respectfully told her that I had been losing weight and that I was planning to lose more.

Without missing a beat she look at me and, "Do you know how many times I have heard that before?"

I smiled and said I'll be right back.

On a lighter note: Tomorrow, (Thursday) our platoon is going to a place called "Victory Ranch" Victory Ranch is a retreat area for senior NCO's and Officers. From what I understand, we are being taken there for the sole purpose of spending time with God.

We have been told not to bring work, or even pleasure reading, but that if we brought anything to read it should be the Bible or a devotional or discipleship book. We will be given essentially the entire day to connect spiritually.

It should be a reminder to me to spend intentional significant time with God away from the routine to recharge and refresh.

It will be my intention to pray for my family, my church and my ministry. If you read this by Thursday, would you take a minute or two just to offer up a short intercession on my behalf? Thanks.

By the way, I'll let you know how the uniform turns out.

-John

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I pray that this time for you will be timely and refreshing.

Gen Ennis said...

I'm praying for you, and we will pray for at Bible study this afternoon.

Gen

Shari said...

I liked the trouser story. I needed an extra smile today. What a special day for you today. Enjoy your "retreat" I will be praying for you as always. Miss you and I will see you 3 weeks from TODAY!!!!!!!!!!

Shanna Locker said...

I had lunch with Shari today. She told me about your retreat day, sounds spiritually and emotionally refreshing. She is counting the days until she heads out to see you, she's excited!
Hope your day is good, ~Shanna~

Pastor John said...

Thank you all for praying for me. Today went well. It rained most of the day, so we spent most of the day in the lodge, although before the rains came I did spend about fifteen minutes on the lake fishing. Yes, I said fishing. This retreat center has quite an array of amenities.

The good news is that I really enjoyed the extra time in the Word and catching up on my Experiencing God Study. I spent a lot of time praying all of you. today.

-John