Monday, April 28, 2008

What Did James Mean?

I have been reading and studying through the Epistle of James for the past couple of weeks. My pastor assigned this to me. Well, it's not like that. I am actually taking a class here at the church that our pastor is teaching and he assigned a project to everyone in the class.

The assignment was to read through James and this past week we were to look back at the original language of Greek to decide the EXACT meanings or at least the original intention of the text of the first 8 verses.

Wow, Pastor Paul, that was a big assignment. I did have fun, but I also will admit that since I was preaching in Pine this weekend, I took out two birds with one stone so to speak.

I discovered that when James was talking about trials in chapter one he was more than likely making reference to the persecution of the early church.

I can't help but know in my heart of hearts that while James' original audience were the believers who were scattered, that God also intended quite beautifully you and I in that equation as well.

So since I have not been persecuted lately, I have to wonder that 'trials' would have to include the testing of my faith through temptations that constantly flood path.

The fact remains that trials or testing, whatever they are, ultimately lead to the same valued purpose for believers today that they did a couple of thousand years ago: our maturity and completeness in Christ which is mentioned in James 1:4.

I am glad that God has not appointed me to have to face death for my faith, however, I am thrilled that He cares enough about maturing me and bringing me to completion in His Son Jesus, that He has allowed me to be tested, to prove my faith.

I have also discovered that although we do call these trials "testing", the results are not for the benefit of God, but for myself.


-John M.

No comments: