Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Tough Question – 2

The last time I made an entry into my BLOG (about two weeks ago) I made an attempt to answer what I called a tough question. Since then I have not been able to stop thinking about the possibility of addressing other tough questions.

Today I am going to look at another issue or question that I have been wrestling with this past week: “Is It Possible to Sin While Dreaming?”

I have to admit that my first snap answer was no. Then I began to think it through and thought that Dreams are thoughts and therefore the person thinking those thoughts while awake and asleep is the same person.

Then, I started researching on the internet other opinions, and I got really confused, because even though there are only two possible answers, yes or no, there were lots of different explanations for each of the answers.

So I finally decided to do what I should have done in the first place: go to the Word of God.

In Genesis Joseph was given the ability to understand dreams in their truest sense. As a boy he dreamed of his eventual dominance over his older brothers and he came into a place of power and privilege. He interpreted dreams for people from prison to the palace.


His ability afforded him safety and turmoil. When he honestly and correctly answered the cup bearers dream in prison, the cupbearer saw that his dream of a vine and grapes and a cup meant that he would be restored to his position. This eventually led to the Pharaoh catching wind of and employing his ability.

Regarding the Pharaoh dreaming of skinny cows and fat cows, this proved to be a critical God-send and foreshadowing of both famine and plenty in the land. The correct interpretation and eventual submission by the Pharaoh, protected Joseph and the Pharaoh as well as Joseph's family.

Joseph was right to admit that interpretation of dreams belongs to God, but there is no doubt that God gifted Joseph to see these true meanings. In addition to that, people are the ones doing the dreaming.

Ok, by now you’re asking what this has to do with sinning in dreams. The fact remains that dreams occur in our minds while we are asleep and the dreams relate to what is going on in our minds during our waking hours. I realize at this point you may be tempted to say that my scripture reference is a stretch, but hear me through.

Answer this question honestly; do you remember that last time you had a vivid or memorable dream? Do you recall that there were some very significant events taking place in your life whether that day or in recent days? For example: what happened in your dream life the last time you watched a scary movie? What happened in your dream life when you had a traumatic event take place in your life, (death of a loved one, loss of job, revelation of a major illness, etc.)? The answer is simple, the sleeping mind is still the same mind you use while you are awake.

You see, it is clear that what we are doing during the day effects what we dream about at night. This is where it gets really interesting; I would venture to say that you have participated in some serious activities in your dreams that you would never have done while awake. No need to state the obvious.

This is evidence that we believe we’re free to get away with things in our dreams that we may never risk while awake.

Stay with a bit longer: This is why I believe Jesus addresses the issue that if you look upon a woman to lust, you have committed adultery with her in your heart. Matthew 5: 27-28. The point that Jesus is making is that Sin has taken place and it took place in the heart (mind).

Some would argue ‘no harm no foul’ but we have to realize that Jesus’ death on the cross was not just for sins that brought harm physically, but because of sin, period.

With all that said, I have to recognize that there is an aspect of involuntarism involved in dreaming. I am also admitting that I do not understand the psyche of the human mind in a way that would give me authoritative carte blanche.

The Old Testament law addresses both unintentional and intentional sin and how the practice of sacrifice deals with each. God designed the law as a stand in until His ultimate Grace through Jesus could be applied by the cross, but the fact remains that God has made provision for both because both exist (intentional and intentional).

All in all there is so much more to this that cannot be dealt with in a daily BLOG entry by a guy who never created the mind in the first place. In other words, since I did not invent the human mind, I would have to refer to the manufacturer. In this case that detailed manual from the creator is called the Bible. (Tongue in Cheek)

Jeremiah 17:9 says that “The heart of man is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it?” So I have no choice but to ask God, the designer, this one simple thing on my behalf that David asked for himself in Psalm 51:10 “Create in me a clean heart O God and renew a right spirit within me.”

Do I believe that a person can sin while they are dreaming? Yes. Do I believe they go to sleep with that intention each time? No. What we ponder or allow our minds to rest upon during the day will surely influence what it thinks and acts upon at night.

Sweet Dreams..... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

-John M

6 comments:

Shanna Locker said...

Well put. After all, a sinner is a sinner is a sinner - no matter if we are awake or asleep. What matters to me is that sin, even in my dreams, has been covered and forgiven by the blood of Jesus Christ!
I have had the question you address asked of me by someone who was trying to prove to me that God is unfair, that God can't hold us accountable for things we do while asleep. This is just another way that sinful man has of trying to justify his actions, and attempting to find fault with God. Anything to avoid the real issue of natural man being DEAD in trespasses and sins and in desperate need of a savior. I love thinking about God being the "giver of life."
Have a great day.
~Shanna~

Pastor John said...

Thanks for making that solid point Shanna, As a believer, ALL our sin is covered by the blood of Jesus.

-John

Anonymous said...

Well put!!

Thanks for this post!

Karin

Pastor John said...

You got it Karin,

I had fun reading a number of interesting opinions on dreams and sin etc. But who knew that some churches have actual written policies regarding where they stand on issues such as sinning in your dreams.

The Bible is still the best source to go to with even the "gray areas".

-John

Anonymous said...

Give me a break!

Pastor John said...

Thanks for your comment anonymous. I assume you are surprised by the fact that some groups have set "policies".

I suppose this is what we get from "Religion". The Bible is not about religion, in fact it is all about "Relationship". Primarily the one that is available through Jesus with the Father.

-John