Monday, March 26, 2007

It's All Greek To Me

I have been with my head in the book the past week like no other time since I was in Graduate School. (seminary). I have a mid term in my New Testament Greek class. The exam will open for me to take online on Tuesday thru Wednesday of this week. I have until 11:00pm to complete and submit it to my professor. I am sure I will use as much study time as possible -(10:59pm).

It has been interesting, though. I have now worked through 21 chapters of NT Greek and I still feel clueless. I feel as though I have learned so much, and yet I feel as though I have not scratched the surface.

One thing is for sure. I am thrilled when I discover simple meaning in scripture I never knew before. Knowing what the original language said and how it was translated into English is amazing to say the least. Small words carry big punches.

For example: In Luke 4:6, the Devil takes the simple use of pronouns and becomes a "cosmic" used car salesman. He says to Jesus, "To You I will give all this authority and their glory; for it has been delivered to me and I will give it to whom I will. If You, then, will worship me, it shall be Yours."

In the original language, word order meant everything. It was used for emphasis. The Devil sweetens the deal by placing the pronoun "To You" at the beginning of the offer. In other words he was saying 'listen Jesus, this offer is just for You today only'.

Fortunately for you and me, Jesus did not let the Devil's abusive style of pronoun usage get the best of Him. I wish I could say I was smart enough to figure this grammer out on my own, but that's why we take classes and read books right? So off I go to study my Greek some more.

John

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the Greek lessons. It is really interesting to study the Word isn't it? It's sharper than a two edged sword...

Unknown said...

Hey study buddy! how did the Greek test go?

Gen said...

A very interesting blog Pastor John. You are right, small words carry a powerful punch. The emphasis on the pronouns gave a whole new perspective.

Gen

Pastor John said...

Still waiting to hear on the test, But I did hear from the profesor... he e-mailed me and wondered why I hadn't submitted the test... I assured him I had e-mailed the test the day before and so I forwareded him a copy from by "sent" file as proof...I suggested that maybe it had gone to his "spam" file by accident.... still waiting.
-John