Monday, January 5, 2009

This Word Will Change You

In the ministry God has allowed me to share, (about 25 years) I have not preached as many sermons as some pastors with only a fraction of the time; mostly because I have served in a support staff role all those years. However, after I teach a lesson, sing a song, or during one of those few sermons (probably less than 25 ever) I have had a few people come back to me and tell me that something I said or sang really spoke to them.

I am reminded of a story I read in a guideposts publication one time about a man who heard a pastor preach a sermon one Sunday that changed his life. He admitted remembering nothing about the sermon except for one verse, that he continued to repeat over and over to himself. Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

The Word of God however little it may be has the power to transform lives. I have to admit to you that My mother constantly repeated that very same verse to me as I was growing up. I remember her verbally telling me that verse, I remember finding the verse written on cards, letters, and sometimes scratched out on a piece of paper in a lunch sack.

My mom understood something of the power of the Word of God as well. The Word of God is different from anything else. Simply because it is Truth. Truth transforms.

We are urged to memorize God's Word because it will get us out of tight spots and keep us from sinning as well. Psalm 119:11 says "I have hidden Thy Word in my heart that I might not sin against Thee."

Repeating verses is so much different than "Positive Thinking", because of the nature of God's Word. Positive thinking attempts to put you in a frame of mind to reap benefits of being positive. A verse like Phil. 4:13 focuses you mind and heart on Christ as the souce of our transformation, not our ability to think something into being.

So, with that in mind (pardon the pun) "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord." Colossians 3:16

No comments: