Thursday, September 25, 2008

What Is The Essence of Worship?

Pastor Paul and I recently made a road trip across the state to watch a soccer game played by two of our students. While we were on the trip Paul brought a sermon for us to listen to along the way.

Does it surprise you that two pastors riding in a car would listen to someone preach?

Well, we both like reading and listening to John Piper, and we both love talking about worship, so it was a natural. We listened to John Piper rant on about Biblical worship. It was great!

After about the first hour, though, my brain was getting full, but I do remember one central issue Piper addressed. He asked the question, "What Was the Essence of Worship".

His answer surprised me, and then again it didn't. He said: "The essential, vital, indispensable, defining heart of worship is the experience of being satisfied with God."

He went on to say that the Apostle Paul made little distinction between worship in the congregation and of the variety that takes place as a pattern of daily living. In other words, the thirst for God is the fuel for driving us to both "live out" and "sing out" our worship of God.

It has been about a week since I heard Piper speak those words, and I still have the thought haunting me today. Does "Thirst for God" drive me to worship?

I realize that it would be easy to criticize what I see in worship settings based on that premise. It would a breeze to say that Christians are driven to seek out a church that meets their needs or demands. I could even go as far as to say that Christians don't come to Worship hungering for God because that are already full on what the world has to offer.

But I would have to include myself right along with everyone else. So here is what I am asking myself:

Do I Thirst for God?

Am I Satisfied with God?

Funny thing how timing works with God. I have recently been trying to lose some weight. Big Surprise. One of the things I have decided is that I refuse to use any supplements to enhance that weight loss. I am just using good old exercise and eating less.

But in the process, I have found myself hungry like I haven't been in a long time. I am so hungry that I find myself thinking about food all the time. When I finally sit down to eat, I find every bite extremely satisfying. Every swallow means something to me.

Who knew you could enjoy the deep flavor of cottage cheese on a Saltine Cracker as if it were a New York Strip? This is where God wants me to be. Satisfied! Filled! Energized! Equipped! In Him!!!!

Now that is deep!

What does that kind of worship look like? Jesus calls it Spirit and Truth Worship, He also said that God was seeking out those kind of worshipers.

I am sure it has more to do with what is taking place on the inside of the worshiper than how it may appear on the outside. I am also sure that it has more to do with attitude than geography.

Colossians 3:15 -17 brings some light to what I think the modern Church has turned into such a mystery. Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs are obvious musical references, but The Word of Christ dwelling in gratitude in our hearts has got to be one of the keys to living in the essence of worship. We're clearly satisfied in Him because of His Word. Naturally, our humble response to this satisfying God is worship that is not only sung out but lived out.

-John Martinez

2 comments:

Shari said...

One of my favorite blogs! Very well put!! Proud of you!!!

Pastor John said...

Thanks Smokey!