Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Called By A Geek




Well, today was a bit of mixed emotions for me. I got my computer back for the shop and it seems to be running just fine. I was so thrilled when I received the phone call and the voice on the other end said:




"Hello My Name is "Joe" and I am calling from the Geek Squad to tell you your computer is ready to be picked up."




In my disbelief, my response was: "I will be there in 10 minutes". I walked out the door with a smile on my face that curled passed my ears.




But I have to admit that the passed couple of weeks have been very awkward for me. I have really wrestled with knowing whether I am dependent on my computer for work or personal reasons.




I discovered myself, many times reaching for my laptop just to check my e-mail for the 'umpteenth' time and having a withdrawal feeling. But there have also been a number of real needs for my computer. I have not been connected to my military e-mail, which is a requirement, and I have found myself looking for ways to complete youth and music related work for the church as well.




I am sending out a big Thank you to all those whose computers I borrowed: Pastor Paul, Gen Ennis, Dawn Edgar, and the gal down at the "Wired and Wireless" coffee shop downtown who allowed me to use one of their computers to finish my PowerPoint for Sunday morning worship.




I couldn't have done it without you all.




There was once a day back in the 80's when I laughed under my breath at those people who just had to have their vintage car phones -You remember the ones: those five pound phones that plugged into their cigarette lighters in the car and were toted around in those bulky moto-bag just in case you wanted to walk around and talk.




I recall those technology geeks in my high school who bragged about knowing how to read FORTRAN and talked about gigabytes and nano-technology as if it was the future.




My biggest technological achievement in those days was to watch and episode of Star Trek. Those Di lithium Crystals amazed me as they caused the Enterprise to shoot across the Universe at warp speed.




I suppose we have worked ourselves into a technological corner. We have created a need for ourselves. When we arrive at church on Sunday mornings we have come very accustomed to the PowerPoint words on the screen and the sound and mics and videos shown on the 72 inch screen at the front of the sanctuary.




By the way, my computer had the DVD Drive and the entire keyboard replaced as well. It is working smooth and the best part of everything is that the computer is under a three year full replacement warranty. So the work was free.








2 comments:

Shanna Locker said...

You can't get any better than free! Don't feel as if you are alone in your feeling of dependance on technology, it hits many of us. The feeling of, "I know I just checked my email 5 minutes ago but what if there is a new, important message..." is common. I know a lady in Oregon who put herself on a week ban from her computer to try and help the 'addiction!' I do find it sad when cyberspace is the main method of communication between people. There is much to be said for a person with 'skin on!'

Pastor John said...

Well Said Shanna!

Let's be better about being more face-to-face.

-John M