Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Waiting For God To Speak

People are strange sometimes. I include myself at the top of the list!

I don't have many "Pet-Peaves", but one of my worst is when someone lies and blames it on God. I have to admit I have done this too often myself and I suppose it has something to do with why I don't like it.

The good thing about todays blog is that I am NOT making reference to anyone specificlly other than myself occassionally, but generically speaking (is that vague enough?) It gets under my skin if I ask or encourage someone to participate in a ministry, and the answer I get is, almost verbatim, in that deep throated spiritual voice: "Let me pray about that". Uggh. Just tell me no! I would feel better about it!

Let me explain. I think that every Christian should be ready to pray and seek God in what He wants them to be DOING, but when we act spiritual and say, "Let me pray..." it's as a substitute to stall for a better excuse; it reminds me of what my friend Clint Henry tell me once: "An excuse is a reason stuffed in the skin of a lie". Wow, that hurts!

I love what I overheard my pastor say the other day. Someone asked him if he would pray about a mission opportunity, and he said flat out, "I can say right now I would love to do it." Then, he went on to say he would begin to pray about it. But don't you just love it when a person says Yes I want to serve God and I'm so glad you thought about me!

Henry Blackaby says that God speaks to us primarily through His Word, but He also speaks to us through circumstances in our lives and other people too.

The next time I am waiting for God to speak, I will have to remember that He has already told me in Matthew 28:19-20, "Therefore , go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you, and surely I am with you even to very end of the age." .

You see, we already have permission to say yes.

Blessings,

John

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John, I like this. I've done this too. (uggggh) You nailed it when you say "we already have permission to say yes", when it comes to anything related to the Great Commission. I think we all have to consider our prior committments and family needs but let's get used to saying yes to God's invitation.